Friday, May 15, 2009

I actually skipped a donut

Hey...I've discovered something...when I eat on my break at work I only eat what I brought. I have learned what a portion size is and have made my parfaits and salad pita/wraps to include about a cup of food. On my break, I only eat that and nothing else. Partly because it takes all of my break to finish it and partly because it's easy to stop eating when it's time to stop eating. When my break is over I go back to work. Since I'm not allowed to eat on the job I have to wait until my next break to eat.

When I get home there is no clear dividing line for when to eat and when to stop. If I portion out my food, sometimes I will eat more anyway. My workday is so structured that I don't have the time to eat randomly so I've learned to be full after fifteen minutes. At home I need to rely on my willpower to stop eating at one portion or within fifteen minutes. I could also just go and do something else that makes it difficult to eat, like gardening, scrapbooking or some craft. But really, my entertainment is frequently tv and computer. I can eat boatloads in front of a screen.

Maybe I should treat home life like work life and only allow for fifteen minute eating. I wonder if that would cause a Polar bear effect.

One good thing was that I avoided eating any donuts on payday! I don't think I've ever not had a donut when they are there. Most of the time I take one (or two) and eat it before I realize what I'm doing, but this time I saw the donuts and thought to eat my salad wrap first. But by the time I was done the salad wrap I didn't have any break time left for a donut, so I thought of having one after work. By the time I was done work, the donuts were stale and yucky so I didn't take one. Yay me!

No comments:

Post a Comment